Breaking News

Together We Can Can Make The Difference Load More

Toronto Load More

OntarioLoad More

CanadaLoad More

Recent Posts Load More

Friday, October 31, 2014

The harshest sentence handed out in a Canadian Court Room since the death penalty

Justin Bourque gets 75 years with no chance of parole for Mountie murders

'One of the most horrific crimes in the history of Canada,' judge says


Bourque won't be eligible for parole for 75 years

A judge has set the parole eligibility for convicted killer Justin Bourque at 75 years. Bourque's sentence is the harshest handed out since the death penalty was allowed, according to The Canadian Press. Bourque was previously handed five concurrent life sentences in connection with the fatal shooting of three RCMP officers and the attempted murder of two others in Moncton this past June.

CBC - Justin Bourque has been sentenced to 75 years in prison with no chance of parole for killing three RCMP officers and wounding two others, a New Brunswick judge has ruled.
It is the longest sentence in Canadian history.
Bourque, 24, previously pleaded guilty to three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder of RCMP officers.
Court of Queen’s Bench Chief Justice David Smith handed down Bourque’s sentence in what he called a "difficult case."
"One of the most horrific crimes in the history of Canada," Smith told the courtroom.
When Smith delivered his sentence, Bourque stood to listen and didn't react when the decision was handed down.
Smith said no sentence could fix the despair that Bourque caused by his shooting spree.
The judge said the five life sentences are mandatory, and the only question was the length of the sentence before he is eligible for parole.
With the sentence, Bourque will not be eligible for parole until he is 99 years old. 
Smith said Bourque's decision to plead guilty is to his credit, but given the evidence was so overwhelming in the case, it doesn't count for a lot.
The judge said Bourque showed little remorse for the crimes until the end of the sentencing hearing when he addressed the families.
The courtroom where Smith delivered his sentence was full. He spent the first part of his decision going over Bourque's past.
He described Bourque as being obsessed with guns, video games, heavy metal music and dependent on marijuana. He said Bourque felt oppressed by the police even though he had no criminal record.
Two courtrooms had been opened to accommodate the large number of people who have shown up for the sentencing. A closed-circuit television feed has linked the rooms to the main courtroom.
Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc also showed up for the sentencing.
Outside the Moncton courtroom, the widows of the three slain Mounties said they are grateful the court proceedings concluded so quickly, but the sentence won't change what happened on June 4, or bring back their loved ones.
"Our lives and the lives of our children have forever changed," Nadine Larche, Rachael Ross and Angela Gevaudan said in a group statement.
"We are proud of the actions of our husbands, Doug, Dave and Fabrice. They did not hesitate to run to the danger in order to protect the community as a whole, their fellow officers, their neighbours and our families," they said.
The women said they are also grateful for all of the support they have received.
Roger Brown, the RCMP's commanding officer in New Brunswick, said he was relieved with the sentence.
"Am I happy with the verdict? I am," Brown told reporters, referring to it as "well thought through."
The sentence should help serve as a deterrent, he said, adding he was also pleased with the quick manner of the process.
Brown said it has been a difficult time for the families of the slain and wounded officers, the RCMP and people in Moncton.
"Like any crime, you can’t undo the damage inflicted on the victims — and in this case, there are many," he said.
"The healing must now start."

Crown requested consecutive life sentences

The Crown had asked that Bourque get three consecutive life sentences.
The Crown prosecutor said the court had to deliver a stiff penalty to "denounce these crimes," and that denunciation must be paramount over rehabilitation.
David Lutz, Bourque’s defence lawyer, had asked that his client be granted an opportunity to apply for parole after 50 years.
Under 2011 changes to the law affecting multiple murderers, a judge has the ability to hand down consecutive sentences.
The first case in which the revised law was used in sentencing was in 2013, when Travis Baumgartner received a 40-year sentence for killing three of his security company co-workers during a robbery
Bourque’s sentencing hearing lasted for two days earlier this week.
The court has heard chilling details about what happened that night and how the officers died.
On June 4, Bourque went on a shooting rampage that resulted in a 28-hour lockdown in the northern section of the city.
The RCMP officers who were killed on June 4 were:
  • Const. Douglas James Larche, 40, from Saint John.​​
  • Const. Dave Joseph Ross, 32, from Victoriaville, Que.​
  • Const. Fabrice Georges Gevaudan, 45, originally from Boulogne-Billancourt, France.
The RCMP officers who were wounded on June 4 were:
  • Const. Éric Stéphane J. Dubois.
  • Const. Marie Darlene Goguen.
During the sentencing hearing, the Crown prosecutor described all the weapons that Bourque had with him during the shootings.
The RCMP recovered two firearms, an M305 .308 rifle and Mossberg 500 12-gauge shotgun, as well as a gas mask, a pair of binoculars, two knives and survival harness.
The court also saw a video of Bourque in a long, rambling interview with police. He was relaxed, comfortable and at times cocky, bragging about his shooting skills.
The video was taken just a couple of hours after Bourque's arrest.
At the end of the sentencing hearing, however, Bourque spoke to the families of the slain officers.
He said even though it was useless, he wanted to tell the families he's sorry.
Through tears, Bourque apologized to the families and said he took the "easy way out." He said the killings are something, "I'm going to have to live with the rest of my life.
"I am sorry. There's nothing else to say," Bourque said.
Read More

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Another sexual assault on a TTC subway train

Man wanted for sexual assault on Bloor subway train
CP24 - Toronto police are asking the public to help identify a man wanted for a sexual assault that allegedly took place on the Bloor subway line.
Police say that a 20-year-old woman was travelling west on the TTC’s Line 2 when a man sat down next to her and sexually assaulted her. The incident happened on Friday, Oct. 24 around 2:15 p.m. between Spadina and Christie stations.
The suspect is described as a black man in his late 40s or early 50s, 5’10”, with a medium build, short black hair and a goatee. He was a wearing a light cream-coloured winter jacket with a grey accent on the side, and carrying multiple plastic bags and a black briefcase with a leather handle.
The train was “moderately occupied,” when the assault occurred, police said in a news release.
Anyone with information is asked to contact investigators at 416-808-1400 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).

Read More

The slow destruction of Canada's environment & the time to act is now!






Harper’s government is tearing up Canada to serve the interests of Big Oil. But a new bill gives us a chance to stop the slow destruction of Canada's environment. Click now to tell our MPs to vote for the people they serve and choose people over pipelines:


SIGN THE PETITION
Our pipeline-loving government is tearing up the country to pump dirty tar from the heart of Alberta all around the world. We elect our politicians to represent us, not Big Oil -- and now we have a real chance to finally make them stand for people over pipelines.

Harper’s latest project would ram an 1,177 km oil pipeline from Alberta straight through the heart of BC’s Great Bear Rainforest, to be sent overseas for refining. But a new bill in Parliament would ban the dangerous mega-tankers needed to do it, sinking this reckless plan before it sets sail -- and we know exactly how to get it passed.

When 50,000 people sign on, we’ll run a massive ad campaign in western ridings that face the greatest risk -- and that might hold the key to the next Canadian election. The message to these MPs will be clear: people over pipelines. Vote for the people you serve, or you will lose your job.


https://secure.avaaz.org/en/people_before_pipelines_loc/?bKwnHdb&v=48195

13 Conservative votes are needed to pass the bill and stop Harper’s slow destruction of Canada’s environment. And with the people of BC and Alberta standing up against pipeline politics, insiders say that this issue might turn the next election, leaving western Tory MPs between a rock and a hard place -- and giving us the chance to have them vote for the bill or explain why they’re putting the party and the oil barons ahead of the people that elected them. 

Enbridge insists that their Northern Gateway pipeline will be safe, but their pipes have spilled over 800 times in the last decade alone. And with Harper’s approval, the BC coast is about to see 220 monstrous tankers weave their way through a minefield of islands and inlets every year. Pipelines leak and tankers crash and when they do, they catastrophically and irreversibly destroy the environment -- and put us all at risk. 

Click now to take back our voice, and tell our politicians it’s time they represent us, not mega-rich foreign oil interests: it’speople over pipelines:


https://secure.avaaz.org/en/people_before_pipelines_loc/?bKwnHdb&v=48195

This won’t be easy -- Harper stopped listening to Canadians a long time ago. But with their jobs on the line, these MPs could change course and rescue their people, our country, and our planet from ecological destruction. Our movement has never been stronger - let’s take action.

With hope,

Danny, Emma, Ari, Ricken, Melanie and the whole Avaaz team

SOURCES
NDP Bill Would Ban Tankers off BC's North Coast (The Tyee) 
http://thetyee.ca/News/2014/09/24/NDP-Bill-North-Coast-Tankers/ 

5 things to know about today’s Northern Gateway oil pipeline decision (Toronto Star) 
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/06/17/5_things_to_know_about_todays_northern_gateway_oil_pipeline_decision.html  

Enbridge staff ignored warnings in Kalamazoo River spill (CBC) 
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/enbridge-staff-ignored-warnings-in-kalamazoo-river-spill-1.1129398
Read More
Subscribe
Stay Connected
Featured

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

© The Toronto Post All rights reserved