Breaking News

Toronto Load More

OntarioLoad More

CanadaLoad More



Monday, February 18, 2013

Jarvis Montaque, 15, gunned down in Rexdale will he just be another unsolved case like other youth killed this year in Toronto



TORONTO - Jarvis Montaque only lived in Canada a couple years, not long enough to make many friends.
But apparently the teen was in the country long enough to make an enemy.
tpsHe was gunned down in Rexdale late Sunday, becoming the third 15-year-old to be shot dead in the city in a month.
The Grade 10 Father Henry Carr student was with a group of people in front of his townhome in a Toronto Community Housing complex on Jamestown Cr., near Kipling Ave. and Albion Rd., when the teen’s killer walked up a path from the street and opened fire from close range, according to Toronto Police.
“He was outside socializing and listening to music,” Det. Joyce Schertzer said Monday. “Witnesses tell us there was no verbal exchange and a single shot was fired at Jarvis.”
The victim tried to run for his life into the courtyard, but he was struck in the torso and collapsed 25 metres away.
His assailant, who wore dark clothing with a hood pulled up, ran toward the street and disappeared.
In the chaos, nobody noticed if the person fled on foot or in a vehicle, added Scherzer.
She said the overhead light where the shooting occurred wasn’t working so witnesses can’t even confirm the shooter’s gender.
Montaque moved from Jamaica two years ago to live with his father, step-mother and other family. But he returned to Jamaica each summer.
“He hadn’t really developed much of a social network here yet,” Scherzer said.
Some of the friends he had made spent the day huddled with family members inside his home.
Montaque, the city’s eighth murder victim of the year, was not known to police.
“He wasn’t a trouble-maker,” Scherzer said. “He was a good kid.”
Residents of Jamestown described the victim as shy.
“He was really quiet,” Annalisa Jnbaptiste said of the boy she met at Greenholme Junior Middle School.
They parted ways when he went to a different high school, but she was stunned to learn of his death.
“He was my age,” she said.
Scherzer said the motive for the murder remains a mystery.
“We’re open to any and all possibilities at this point,” she said.
Montaque was the latest of a series of young people who have been killed this year.
St. Aubyn Rodney, 15, was shot to death a week ago in another troubled neighbourhood, near Jane St. and Finch Ave. W.
A boy, 17, one of three friends with Rodney when he was killed, faces a manslaughter charge.
Tyson Bailey, also 15, was gunned down Jan. 18 in a Regent Park highrise.
But the GTA’s the most shocking murder so far this year was that of Kesean Williams, 9, who was shot through his living room window while watching television in his Brampton home.
“Somebody asked me how I feel (about so many youngsters being killed),” Sherzer said. “I feel the same as everyone else.
“It’s sad, pointless and frustrating,” she added.

Toronto SUN
Share This
Blogger
Facebook
Disqus

comments powered by Disqus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe
Stay Connected
Featured

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

© The Toronto Post All rights reserved