Breaking News

Toronto Load More

OntarioLoad More

CanadaLoad More

Monday, April 01, 2013

2 Gunmen Hunted In Toronto Yorkdale Mall Shootout

Two gunmen hunted in Toronto mall shooting


TORONTO -- The hunt is on for at least two suspects in the shooting death of a city man at one of the city's busiest malls.Police say Michael Nguyen, 23, was gunned down Saturday night, an hour before Yorkdale shopping centre was set to close, outside the Sears store by at least two assailants who used "several" guns in the attack.
Those people remain at large, Toronto Police Det. Robert North said Sunday.
"This was an isolated incident between two groups," North said. "We're not talking about people who come here and shot random people coming out for an evening with their family."
A 24-year-old man was also shot and found near the Joey's restaurant entrance to the mall. He was transported to hospital but is expected to survive.
North could not comment on the connection between the two shot men or the two groups. He also could not say how or where the altercation started.
He said Nguyen was known to police, but the other victim was only know in a "minor" way.
In the coming days officers will be looking at video footage from the mall's many security cameras, North said.
"We are hopeful we'll be able to capture that incident on camera," he said.
On Sunday morning, more than 40 officers spread out across the mall grounds to investigate. A K-9 unit was brought to the scene and officers took fingerprints from a black BMW and a black Mustang.
They also towed a gray Toyota Corolla with bullet holes in its side.

Yorkdale mall officials released a statement Sunday expressing their shock at the shooting.
"We have regular patrols in the parking lot, well-trained personnel inside and outside of the shopping centre, and security cameras monitoring most areas of the property," the statement said.
Hundreds of mall patrons were forced to abandon their cars Saturday night after the shooting happened. Many were stuck inside for hours while officers investigated. The cars were released to their owners Sunday afternoon.
Sania Drljaca returned in the morning and said she tried to leave the mall with her friends shortly after the shooting. She was told by police to stay put.
Motorists, fed up with the delays and little information, began honking their horns in protest.
"It was kind of scary," Drljaca said, adding that this shooting and another in 2009 shooting at the north-end mall, have her concerned.

"I think I'll wait a while before I come back."
In April 2009, Yorkdale security guard Kyle Dodd was shot just above the heart while trying to arrest a 19-year-old man who had threatened to shoot a teenager in the head because he thought he was staring at him. The gun fired while in the man's pants as the two struggled.
Dodd survived because he was wearing a bulletproof vest.
A man who refused to give his name was critical of the mall lockdown.
"It was very scary. I think they overreacted keeping so many people in the mall and in their cars. It was very dangerous."

"It was very scary. I think they overreacted keeping so many people in the mall and in their cars. It was very dangerous."
Share This

comments powered by Disqus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

© The Toronto Post All rights reserved