Breaking News

Toronto Load More

OntarioLoad More

CanadaLoad More



Friday, October 04, 2013

NSA director admits to misleading public on terror plots


© AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Gen. Keith B. Alexander


Natasha Lennard
Salon
The administration has been amping up stats about foiled plots to bolster support for mass surveillance 

In so many words, NSA director Keith Alexander admitted Wednesday that the Obama administration had issued misleading information about terror plots and their foiling to bolster support for the government's vast surveillance apparatus. 

During Wednesday's hearing, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy pushed Alexander to admit that plot numbers had been fudged in a revealing interchange: 

"There is no evidence that [bulk] phone records collection helped to thwart dozens or even several terrorist plots," said Leahy. The Vermont Democrat then asked the NSA chief to admit that only 13 out of a previously cited 54 cases of foiled plots were genuinely the fruits of the government's vast dragnet surveillance systems: 

"These weren't all plots, and they weren't all foiled," Leahy said, asking Alexander, "Would you agree with that, yes or no?" 

"Yes," replied Alexander. 

Proof positive of what many of us have long posited: that under the flimsy guise of a targeted War on Terror, the surveillance state has established itself with little regard for an honest relationship with the American public.
Share This
Blogger
Facebook
Disqus

comments powered by Disqus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe
Stay Connected
Featured

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

© The Toronto Post All rights reserved